Chef Michael Giovan Sarthou III (or Chef Tatung) in his recent demo for The Maya Kitchen Culinary Elite Series generously shared his recipe on Ukoy, so you can try and prepare them in your own kitchen. This Malabon favorite- Shredded vegetables and shrimp is coated in light annatto infused batter, deep fried to a golden crisp fritter.
1 cup MAYA All-Purpose Flour
2 tablespoons MAYA Cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
dash of pepper
¼ cup ice cold water
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons annatto oil
1. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
2. Add the water and fish sauce.
3. Mix the annatto oil well into the batter.
½ cup squash, cut into thin strips
½ cup camote, cut into thin strips
1 cup bean sprouts
1 red onion, sliced thinly
1 bunch spring onions, cut into inch-long pieces
1 cup small fresh shrimp, whiskers trimmed, washed and drained
1. Heat 1-inch deep oil for frying in a deep heavy-bottomed frying pan.
2. Mix in all vegetables into the batter.
3. Drop batter by spoonful in hot oil allowing 1 or 2 shrimps and fine onion slices per ukoy.
4. Fry until golden brown.
5. Serve hot with vinegar and garlic dip.
The Maya Kitchen Culinary Elite Series features the country’s top chefs and their culinary creations in cooking demonstrations open to housewives, culinary enthusiasts and the general public. For more information, log on to www.themayakitchen.com or e-mail [email protected]