During the cooking demo, Chef Fernando “Fern” Aracama shared his media noche memories from Bacolod. A very young boy walking home from midnight mass with his family is something Chef Fern remembers to this day. He took inspiration from the traditional Media Noche meal that awaited them but this time he shares recipes of dishes that are not the usual but delightful especially if you want something new to serve. His childhood memories greatly influenced his cooking.
Chef Fern shared this Grilled Ensaimada Media Noche style which can be described as a hot and crusty butter grilled ensaimada stuffed with Chinese ham and queso de bola.
This is what you need:
4 pcs ensaimada large size, cut in half (get traditional ensaimada not the soft type)
4 tbsps Dijon or yellow mustard
4 tbsps. Pickle relish
½ cup grated queso de bola or your choice of cheese
1 1/2 cup shredded Chinese jam
½ cup butter softened
1. Take the halved ensaimada and turn it inside out
Slice off the top of the bottom to make it flatter.
2. Spread the mustard and the pickle relish on the bottom slice
3. Top with grated cheese and the shredded chinese ham. Turn over the other half to cover the filling
4. Heat up a non stick pan over medium heat and add about a tablespoon of butter. When the butter has melted, grill the ensaimada until nice and crusty.
5. Add some more butter and turn over to grill the other side of the ensaimada. It- should have a golden brown crust.
6. Slice the sandwich in half and serve with a side of Insalata Uva ( which I will share in another recipe).