Chicken Relleno or Stuffed Chicken. Relleno comes from the Spanish word “Rellenar” which means “to stuff. The chicken is stuffed with ground pork, ham, vegetables, hard boiled egg, etc. and then baked. Here is a favorite dish which I want to share with you. The hard part is in the deboning but once you’ve mastered it, stuffing the chicken shouldn’t be too hard. You can also have the chicken deboned at the grocery store too.
1 large chicken (about 1 1/2 kilos)
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 Lemon juice of calamansi Juice
(Mix all together)
1/4 kilo cooked sweet ham, chopped finely
1/2 kilo ground lean pork
5 pieces Vienna sausage, Chopped finely
2 small pieces chorizo bilbao, chopped finely
1/2 cup sweet pickles
1/2 cup grated cheese
10 pieces green olives, pitted and chopped
1/2 cup raisins
2 Tablespoons Tomato Catsup
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 Hard cooked eggs, quartered
1/4 cup butter
1. Debone Chicken for stuffing leaving wing and drumstick bones intact.
(How to Debone Chicken)
You can also request your favorite supermarket to debone the chicken for you. At the Metro East (Robinson) supermarket, they can debone the chicken for you.
2. Marinate chicken in soy sauce and calamansi juice. Set aside.
3. Mixture of the next 12 ingredients should be mixed thoroughly.
4. Fry a small mixture and correct seasonings.
5. Stuff chicken, arrange quartered eggs in the center.
6. Sew up opening and wrap in Aluminum foil.
7. Bake in moderate oven (350 F) for 1 1/2 hour.
8. When almost done, unwrap and continue baking until brown.
9. Baste with butter every now and then.
10. Arrange chicken in a platter.