Another guest post from my sister Lorna is a recipe that made it to the finals during the RFM Corporation’s 25th Anniversary in 1983 is Chit Kiam Siopao. I am copying the recipe “as is” so substitute the ingredients accordingly. If you prefer, Asado Siopao, you can also follow this Asado Siopao Recipe.
2 tsps active dry yeast
1-1/2 cup lukewarm water
3/4 cup sugar
4 to 5 cups White King All-Purpose Flour (subsitute with your favorite brand)
3 teaspoons Snow White Baking Powder (subsitute with your favorite brand)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1. Soften yeast in lukewarm water with 2 tbsps sugar. Set aside in a mixing bowl for about 5 minutes.
2. Mix together remaining sugar, White King All-Purpose Flour, and baking powder.
3. Add flour mixture to dissolved yeast. Add vegetable oil and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, for about 20 minutes.
4. Form dough into a ball, place in a slightly-greased bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Let rise for 1 hour or until double in bulk.
5. Punch down dough and form into a rod. Divide dough into 24 pieces.
6. Let rise for 30 minutes.
7. With the cut side up, flatten each piece of dough and put a tbsp of filling, a tbsp of sauce, and a piece of quail egg. Seal well.
8. Put a piece of paper underneath each siopao.
9. Let rise for another 30 minutes.
10. Steam for 20-25 minutes or until done.
1-1/2 cup fish fillet, boiled and flaked
1/2 kilo ground pork
1/2 kilo raw shrimps, shelled and chopped fine
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vetsin
2 medium-sized onion, chopped
4 tbsps cornstarch (or 1/4 cup)
3 tbsps green onions, chopped
24 pieces quail eggs (pugo eggs), boiled and shelled
1 pc. Sweet-Sour Sauce
1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
2. Form about 2 tbsps of prepared filling into balls. Steam for 20 minutes.
1 cup water
3 tbsps vinegar
3 tbsps brown sugar
1 tsp vetsin
5 tbsps tomato catsup
1 tsp salt
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
2 tsps cornstarch
Mix all ingredients together. Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly until properly thickened.
Submitted by: Paz Chit Riviera
Non-Student: Siopao category