I want to dedicate this Lumpia Shanghai to Ness who emailed me requesting for a lumpia recipe. I cook lumpia all the time but I never bother to take photos. Ness told me that her American boyfriend rwants to appreciate Filipino cuisine. I find it really sweet that she wants to find time to cook for her boyfriend. Here is my recipe, Ness. Hope your boyfriend will love lumpia shanghai.
There are many lumpia versions but I feel this is the easiest to cook. You will need to buy lumpia wrapper at the supermarket.
Ingredients for Filling
1/2 kilo small shrimps, chopped
1/2 kilo ground pork
1/4 cup chopped dried Chinese mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped spring green onion leaves
1/4 cup chopped singkamas
2 Tablespoon soy sauace
1 teaspoon Sesame oil
Dash of salt
Dash of Pepper
Procedure for filling
1. Combine all the ingredients above.
2. Wrap filling into the lumpia wrapper.
3. Fry in deep fat.
4. After frying, drain in paper napkins.
5. Cut the fried lumpia into 1 and 1/2 inch pieces.
6. Serve hot with sweet and sour sauce.
How to prepare sweet and sour sauce
2 tablespoon Vinegar
6 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon tomato catsup (not banana)
1 cup water
2 teaspoons Oyster sauce
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
3 tablespoon water for dissolving cornstarch
1. Mix water sugar, salt, vinegar in a saucepan. Add catsup and oyster sauce and bring to a boil.
2. Add dissolved cornstarch to the boiling mixture.
3. Stir until thick.
Ness, if ever you get to cook this lumpia recipe, I hope that your boyfriend realize your lumpia was cooked with tender loving care.