Ever since my daughter brought home Kalamansi muffins from Boracay, I got hooked to pastries with Kalamansi juice in it. Most of us are probably familiar with Lemon Squares that we often bake for the holidays. Lemon and kalamansi has its distinct taste but using the latter feels more like home. I am sure you will love this Coconut Calamansi Squares recipe shared by Chef Hasset Go in a recent demo at The Maya Kitchen.
For the crust:
1/3 cup flaked coconut, toasted
¼ cup powdered sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup MAYA All Purpose Flour
6 tablespoons butter
For the Custard:
4 pieces eggs
1 cup coconut sugar
1/3 cup MAYA All Purpose Flour
½ cup fresh calamansi juice
1/3 cup flaked coconut, toasted and cooled
1. Preheat Oven to 325F. Grease and flour an 8×8 square baking pan.
2. For the crust: combine all dry ingredients into a bowl. Cut in butter and toss mixture using fork or pastry blender until it resembles coarse meal. Press mixture into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
3. For the Custard: In a bowl whisk together eggs and coco sugar until well combined. Add flour, stir well. Add calamansi juice.
4. Pour calamansi custard mixture over pre baked crust and bake for 20 minutes. Top custard with the toasted cooled coconut and bake again for 5 minutes.
5. Cool for 1 hour, dust with confectioners’ sugar then cut.
For other class schedules, culinary tips and recipes log on to www.themayakitchen.com or email [email protected].