There is nothing like freshly baked puto right out of your steamer I always thought puto has to be made always with rice flour. The best texture and taste is using rice flour but I am sure some of my readers overseas appreciate a puto recipe without using rice flour but instead just the plain all-purpose flour. However, you can use rice flour if you can grind some.
Here is what you need:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons white sugar
1/4 cup shortening
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons evaporated milk
4 egg whites
2 tablespoons sugar (for the egg whites)
1. Cream shortening. When fluffy, add the 3 tablespoons sugar.
2. Add the dry ingredients together (flour and baking powder) together and add alternately with the 6 tablespoons milk to the creamed mixture. Set aside.
3. In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stuff. Add 2 tablespoons sugar to keep the air in the beaten eggwhites.
4. Fold the eggwhites to the mixture in number 2.
5. Pour into muffin molds.
6. Steam for 20 minutes or until done.
7. Top with a few anis seeds for flavor. Serve hot or cold.
Google+ Recommend this recipe?