Max Fried Chicken Style Recipe (updated)
Upon seeing the spring chickens in the Salcedo Saturday Market, I suddenly recalled my Max-style Fried Chicken recipe which I have been wanting to cook again. The extra crispiness of the chicken skin is due to the boiling of the chicken and refrying it twice. I showed this recipe a couple of months back but have edited some steps to make it easier for you to cook. Here is a Max Fried Chicken Style recipe which I got from my sister over 20 years ago:
1. Rub whole small chicken (inside the skin also) with a mixture of:
- 2 Tablespoons rock salt
- 1 tsp pepper
2. Steam right away for 30 minutes (How to Steam)
3. Drain off all the liquid. Pat dry the Chicken with paper towel so frying it later won’t cause so much splatter.
4. Prepare a cover to protect yourself from sputters.
5. Make sure kawali (or deep frying pan) is extremely hot before you put in the oil. (a reader suggested peanut oil)
(tip: the oil should cover 1/2 of the chicken pieces)
6. Deep fat fry. Fry both sides till light brown.
8. Re-fry for extra crispiness.
Pineapple Sauce recipe
1. Mix together
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup banana ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 Cook over fire until it boils.
3. Heat sizzling platter. Arrange chicken pieces.
4. Pour Sauce.
It won’t taste exactly like Max Fried Chicken but it comes close and the best thing is it was cooked at home. There is nothing like home-cooked meals.