Beef Kebab with Basmati rice
Every month, Maya Kitchen, where I learned to ice cakes when the kids were still little often invites me to their cooking demo. I was not able to make it last Saturday because I had to attend a health conference. That saturday, Indian cuisine expert Kanchan Sandhwani visited The Maya Kitchen to hold a Mediterranean Kebab class.
Sandhwani demonstrated Murgh Makhmalie (Chicken BBQ Continental-American Style served with Saffron Rice); Keema Kofta (Meatballs with Spicy Onion Sauce), Chicken, Beef and Pork Kebabs, Roast Chicken and Chapati. Let me share the chicken, beef and pork kebabs
1) Wash keemo (ground meat) and strain well. You can use ground pork, beef or chicken meat.
2) Add 1 teaspoon each of minced garlic, minced ginger, julienned green chilies, red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt. Adjust spices according to your taste.
3) Add 1 egg and a handful of Japanese breadcrumbs. Mix well.
4) Bind it into kebab shape (similar to small sausage).
5) In a frying pan add little oil and shallow fry the kebabs until brown.
To serve chicken kebab:
1) Put a little canola oil in hot pan. Add one sliced onions and cook until onions are a bit caramelized. Add one julienned red bell pepper. Add chili sauce and calamansi juice according to taste.
2) Combine chicken kebab into the mixture.
3) Garnish with coriander leaves (wansoy).
4) Serve with green chutney.
1) To ensure even cooking, insert wooden or metal skewer in each kebab prior to cooking.
2) You can prepare a large batch of kebabs and keep them in the freezer. Steam the kebabs first and freeze for up to one month. Thaw before frying.
1 cup Basmati rice
1 ½ cup water
Pinch of saffron
1T canola oil
½ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp iodized salt
Cook in pot until done. Stir with spoon near the end of cooking process.
If using rice cooker, watch that rice is not overcooked.
Hope you like kebabs. I will share other recipes soon.
For other class schedules, culinary tips and recipes log on to www.themayakitchen.com or email email@example.com.