A lot of you have found my recipe on the Perfect Chocolate Cake very useful but some of you found the fudge icing difficult to make. I have posted the original fudge icing here in number 1. It is best to use Recipe number 2 or the third recipe called “Easy Chocolate Icing” if you are beginners.
1. The Fudge Icing
1 can condensed mik
1/2 cup cocoa
1/4 cup butter
1. Mix milk and cocoa with wire whisk or wooden spoon until smooth. Strain through a wire strainer.
2. Cook mixture in double boiler. Stir occasionally- when thick, remove from fire and add butter thoroughly.
3. Add desired flavor.
4. Use this icing right away. Keep bowl in double boiler to maintain warmth.
1. You can decrease the cocoa down to 1/3 cup.
2. Icing starts getting thick when you see thick icing clinging to the sides of the bowl. Continually scrape sides of bowl until icing becomes very thick.
3. Do not over cook or else you will have a fudge candy.
2. Another Fudge Icing Recipe
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup evaporated milk ( or 2/3 cup evaporated milk + 1/3 cup water)
1 Tablespoon butter
1. Mix sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and milk making sure there are no lumps.
2. Cook until thick.
3. Take away from fire and add butter and vanilla. Mix well.
3. Easy Chocolate Icing
1/2 bar of butter, softened
1/2 cup cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups powdered sugar (confectioners’ sugar)
4 tablespoons (more or less) HOT water (boiling hot water preferred)
1. Cut in margarine with cocoa, salt and powdered sugar until it resumes the size of cornmeal
2. Add water, 2 tablespoons at a time mixing until smooth.
*The icing can be used to simply frost or pipe out designs on the cakes. Just add more powdered sugar.
* It is very important to seive the sugar before using
3 thoughts on “Fudge Icing and Easy Chocolate Icing”