Cebu Binangkal (Sesame Balls)
I suddenly remembered my mom’s Binangkal recipe after a recent visit to Cebu. Well, Binangkal is round , shaped from dough and covered with sesame seeds and is a popular Cebu delicacy. Here is our recipe:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup water
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon vanilla flavor
1 teaspoon butter flavor
1. Sift flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder.
2. Mix brown sugar, water, oil, butter flavor and vanilla flavor. ( or add flour mixture in step 1 all at once to the liquid mixture, not little by little). Mix to blend.
3. With a teaspoon, take a but of batter and drop into a bowl of sesame seeds. Pick seasme-seed covered batter and roll between palms to form a round mixture.
4. Drop into prepared tray. Make sure your deep fat fryer or Kawali is full of hot cooking oil but make sure temperature is moderate.
5. Fry in deep hot fat until brown (slightly dark brown). This is crispy outside and soft inside.
Yields 36 pieces.
A reader @ombin_05 in twitter actually made binangkal tonight. Here is what he cooked.
Google+ Recommend this recipe?