If there is ever a favorite dish for kids, it has got to be Macaroni and cheese which is also called “mac and cheese”. So why not prepare this for your graduation celebration party at home? The usual macaroni and cheese is a casserole baked in the oven but it can also be prepared in a sauce pan on the top of the stove from scratch or using a packaged mix, But of course, you want to do it from scratch. The recipe below combines the cooking from a sauce pan and baking it afterwards.
So try this and I tell you this is just “yum”.
1 cup chopped bacon
¼ cup butter
¼ cup MAYA All-Purpose Flour
3 cups fresh milk
1 cup cream
1 cup cheese spread
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
500 grams elbow macaroni, cooked
1 cup Japanese crumbs
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
¼ tablespoons melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 375°F/191°C.
2. In a pan, cook bacon until lightly brown. Do not remove bacon from the pan but instead, add in the butter, then mix in the flour. Pour in the milk and cream, stirring for 2 minutes.
3. Add the cheeses and cayenne pepper. Stir and simmer for 3 minutes then add in cooked macaroni.
4. Remove from heat and transfer to a 8 x 11 x 2 baking dish. Set aside.
5. Prepare Topper: Simply combine all ingredients until well mixed. Sprinkle over macaroni n’ cheese and bake until top is crisp and nicely browned. Best served with garlic toast.
Yield: 8-10 servings
For more recipes, other culinary ideas and course schedule, log on to www.themayakitchen.com.