The best and healthy grilled dishes are always seafood. First of all, there is minimal fat used in the grilling process and of course seafood is always healthy. Make sure the squid is fresh to start with.
1 kilo medium to large fresh squid
1 bottle or 1 cup Sprite or 7-up (for extra sweetness)
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 Tablespoons Calamansi juice
2 Tablespoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
Optional stuffing for body cavity
2 medium-sized onions, sliced
2 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
salt and pepper for seasoning
1. Wash the squids well. Remove the long thin membrane in the head and body and slit the eyes to bring out the ink. Wash the body cavity well.
2. Place the squid in the bowl and add all the ingredients all together. Marinate for 1 hour or more.
3. Before grilling, place the squid in barbecue sticks. Keep the marinade sauce.
Stuff the squid cavity with a mixture of onions and tomatoes. Sew the ends of the squid so contents to prevent spillage.
4. Prepare the fire.
5. When grill is ready, grill the squid. Use the marinade sauce to baste the squid while it is being grilled.
Don’t overcook or else the squid will come out chewy. One just wants it easy to bite and tender.
6. You will know it is cooked when there are few grill marks, the squid is cooked to the center of the body. It takes around 3 to 5 minutes. Just exercise caution not to overcook. You can always check one squid to determine doneness.
7. Serve hot with dipping sauce like soy sauce with sili.
3 thoughts on “Grilled Squid or Inihaw na Pusit”