Ukoy, Okoy or Shrimp Fritters
There are many ways to cook ukoy. In Vigan, ukoy like the one above is prepared from a mixture of galapong (sticky rice with water), shrimps, onions, spring onions and salt to taste. One has to prepare galapong first but I prefer to use rice flour . (You can prepare galapong though)
1 cup small fresh shrimps
1 cup rice flour (or cornstarch if rice flour not available)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup green onions part julienned
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
oil for deep fat frying
1. Cut out the whiskers from the shrimp and sharp outer shells of the shrimp’s head. Wash thoroughly and set aside.
2. Place all the rice flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Add water to the dry ingredients and stir.
3. Place shrimps and green onions to the mixture.
4. Heat oil for frying in a the kawali. When heated, drop in the mixture 1 tablespoon at a time. If particles tend to separate while frying, just gather them together with a slotted spoon to form two inches of patties. just keep gathering the particles until the patties are fully formed.
5. Fry until golden brown. Drain in paper towels.
6. Serve with a bowl of vinegar, salt, pepper and crush garlic as dipping.